WPD officers honored for 20 years of service to city

By L. Parsons

Police Chief Dan Brown recognized acting Lieutenant Quentin Hayes and retired Corporal Joe Marquez for their 20 years of service to the Winslow Police Department at the Aug. 8 Winslow City Council meeting.

Hayes and Marquez were classmates at the police academy, Chief Brown explained. Marquez retired on July 31, and took a position teaching Career and Technical Education/Law at Winslow High School. “I love working for the City of Winslow,” Marquez said, “and will continue to do my best.”

Both men were presented with plaques and accolades from Brown.

Also part of the agenda, Brown received approval from the council for an agreement between the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the city for the Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission (GIITEM) State Gang Task Force.

The motion read, “the City of Winslow will assign one detective to the Gang and Immigration Intelligence Team Enforcement Mission. The purpose of this agreement is to enhance law enforcement services related to the criminal activities of criminal street gangs.” The officer selected will be tasked with maintaining the GangNet database and tracking gang activity across the county.

As this is a partnership with DPS, 75 percent of payroll expenses of the GIITEM detective will be reimbursed to the city and the remaining 25 percent will be the responsibility of WPD.

The council also approved a memorandum of understanding submitted by Chief Brown. The memorandum explains the agreement of WPD to enter all persons who have been entered as a criminal street gang member into the GangNet database.

There will be no further impact on the WPD budget behind this memorandum, as the data entry will be a service of Arizona DPS.